Guest Post By: Kitty Barrow
Do you ever have little annoyances in your business that aren’t bad but they bring business to a halt? It is often worse because it’s something that is a little frustrating and you think it will go away but it keeps coming back over and over again?
– Maybe someone at the office is driving you mad?
– Or people aren’t doing things the way you know they need to be done?
– Or something or people are slipping through the cracks?
– Or maybe it’s that next ‘great idea’ that will be the next big thing that will revolutionize your world?
If not, are your breathing? It happens to all of us!
Usually what happens is that we live in this little world where small frustrations are the norm and we’ve just learned to ignore them.
Before too long we find ourselves years later in almost the same place we were before, often frustrated and losing hope that anything will ever be different! Overwhelmed and/or annoyed is our new normal and we keep going!
– We’re stuck. We know it….but we don’t KNOW it. Instead of dealing with that harsh reality we’re either too busy to give it much deep thought often find ourselves saying, “when the kids get older”, “when my company does ‘this’”, “this is how it’s always been done and it just won’t change”, “I’ve tried that before and I know it won’t work”, “I’m doing good enough”, “the poor man just can’t get ahead”…
What is it for you? What right now, at work, is driving you nuts? Write it down because we’re about to have some fun!
5 steps to EASY, Stress-LESS, getting things done:
1. Consider the impact of not getting it done.
Yes, sit and think of just one of the things that keeps stressing you out and work and consider the IMPACT of not getting a resolution to this? Maybe at first, it doesn’t seem to matter. You haven’t done anything and business is still getting done. OR IS IT? Is business getting done or are you settling for MEDIOCRITY?
Recently, I hadn’t taken the time to be fully understood by my amazing assistant as to what should be categorized a VERY important email, an IMPORTANT email and an email that can wait. Because of my lack of finding a minute to better discuss it with her, emails that were VERY important were getting marked as ‘not that important’ and I was losing SALES! Yet, because I was making a lot of other sales, meeting with her wasn’t a priority until I almost lost a BIG sale.
What are you waiting to get ‘taken care of’ and what is the possible impact of you not getting it done?
Stayed tuned for step #2…
Kitty Barrow is a Senior Partner and Executive Sales and Leadership Coach of Southwestern Consulting. She specializes in creating successful systems that are easily duplicated. Her motto is “Keep Things Simple for Stress-less Selling.” Kitty has trained thousands of sales professionals in companies such as Wells Fargo, MassMutual, New York Life, Xerox Global and Allstate