Guest Post By: Kitty Barrow
One of my coaching clients (we’ll call him Bob), was completely frustrated with his closing percentage. He was doing his 5-step Introduction as we had scripted it out. He was building trust and rapport a lot quicker. He was able to modify how he presented based on why they said they would buy in the Introduction. Yet his closing percentage hadn’t increased much and he couldn’t figure out why.
Because Bob is a great student of his game, he recorded his presentation for us to review. As we listened together, within 10 minutes we were able to figure out where he was losing the sale.
Does this ever happen to you? Do you ever sit down with a prospect. You know they need your product/service. They say that they need your product/service. You still aren’t able to get them to move forward at the end of your conversation? Do they end it with things like, ‘let me think about it’ or ‘call me in 6 months’? When this happens, does it drive you nuts?!?
What is that?
When asking them about what they needed to ‘alter or change’ about their current situation, often they would speak of their pain. Then Bob responded like most sales people. He said, ‘Ok’ and moved on to the next question. ALL HE SAID was ‘Ok’ and moved on!! Bob didn’t dig deeper into the pain of their current situation. Bob admitted that since they spoke of their pain, then he thought they understood their pain. Plus, he is a sales person and like most sales people, Bob wants people to like him. He thought that if he got them to speak of their pain, then they wouldn’t like him.
Here are 2 important rules that you MUST understand when asking your prospect about their pain:
- You must get them to talk more about how this pain is negatively affecting their life until they have some emotion tied to it. They will NOT change their situation without the emotion.
- You did not cause their pain! You did not cause their pain so why would you think that digging into a pain that they have would cause them to not like you?!? If anything, once you help them realize how much it is costing them to stay in that situation and you offer a solution, you are going to be their savior. Think of it like being a ‘doctor of selling’. If you go in the doctor’s office and they ask, ‘where does it hurt?’, are you upset with the doctor that they want to know all about the pain and where and when and how? Of course you aren’t!
The good news is that Bob was able to start digging into the pain revealed by his prospects and his closing percentage soared! Bob was making more money in LESS time. This is just one of the cool ways that we are able to help our Top Producers Edge Coaching Clients with their Time Management.
A couple of questions that you can try the next time your prospect shares what they would like to alter/change with their current situation:
- Mmmmmmm….. (just respond with a deep ‘mmmmmm’ letting them know that you feel their pain and they will often keep elaborating more)
- Tell me more….
- Is that frustrating?…..
- Wow, what is the cost of that?….
- How is that affecting you?….
STAY HERE with your prospect until you are sure that they FEEL the frustration of their current situation before offering the remedy. And OF COURSE, the remedy is your product/service!
After trying this out, please email or comment below with your results!
Kitty Barrow is a Senior Partner and Executive Sales and Leadership Coach of Southwestern Consulting. She specializes in creating successful systems that are easily duplicated. Her motto is “Keep Things Simple for Stress-less Selling.” Kitty has trained thousands of sales professionals in companies such as Wells Fargo, MassMutual, New York Life, Xerox Global and Allstate